I tried out this all natural lip balm recipe which is quite easy to make (less than 30 minutes) and requires only 4 ingredients namely beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter and an essential oil of your choice for the flavours. I used lemon, lavender and peppermint essential oils and vitamin E additionally. Beeswax heels dry and cracked lips and coconut oil naturally replenishes moisture. Shea butter protects your lips from rough weather elements and reduces drying. Vitamin E is commonly used in skin care products for its antioxidant properties.
3 tablespoons beeswax pellets (or grated)
3 tablespoons coconut oil
3 tablespoons shea butter
Essential oil of your choice
1 vitamin E capsule (optional)
1. Set aside lip balm containers and place them on your counter with the lids off. This will make it easier for pouring the melted mixture later
2. Place the beeswax, vitamin E capsule, coconut oil and shea butter and melt in a double boiler stirring occasionally. I used a Pyrex measuring glass over boiling water in a pot as shown below.
3. Remove from heat and pour mixture into the containers. Be careful with the hot mixture and not to spill as this creates a mess when the beeswax solidifies.
4. Add essential oils (3-4 drops) into each of the containers and stir in slightly.
5. Allow the lip balm to cool to room temperature and avoid disturbing before they have hardened.
The best lip balm for me was the peppermint flavoured one because of the fresh cooling sensation that you get on your lips. These lip balms make great gifts and they have all the essential goodies for your lips and the ingredients are all natural and safe for ingestion.